ENG POL RUS UKR
You are here: Main > Tyres > Cooper
Brand
Popular models
By category
By season
By abc
Cooper

Cooper

1914 John F. Schaefer and Claude E. Hart, brothers-in-law, purchased the M and M Manufacturing Company in Akron, Ohio, producing tire patches, tire cement and tire repair kits.

1915 Schaefer and Hart acquire The Giant Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, a tire rebuilding business.
1917 The Giant Tire Company, with C. E. Hart as president, moves to Findlay, Ohio, into buildings vacated by the defunct Toledo Findlay Tire Company. Total employment is 29. I. J. Cooper of Cincinnati, owner of several wholesale auto accessory stores, becomes a director of the company and contributes to its growth until his death in 1941. There are 134 U.S. tire manufacturers in business, 40 in Ohio alone.

1919 Fire destroys the main building of the Giant plant. Reconstruction begins immediately on a new single story plant.
1920 Ira J. Cooper forms the Cooper Corporation for the production of new tires. He distributes Cooper brand tires through his wholesale business. The two companies, Cooper and Giant, operate in two separate plants in Findlay.

1930 The Giant Tire Company and the Cooper Corporation merge with the Falls Rubber Company of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, to form the Master Tire & Rubber Company.
1931 Total production numbers 2,850 tires per day. Brand names marketed by the company at this time include Cooper, Falls, Giant, Sterchi, Hoover, Savage, Linco, Williams, Swinehart, Tigerfoot and Englert.

1936 All tire operations, including Falls, are now centered in Findlay.
1941 Cooper converts the "hard goods" department to wartime production of pontoons, landing boats, waterproof bags and camouflage items, as well as tires for military vehicles.

1945 The company receives the Army-Navy "E" Award in a special ceremony recognizing its production contribution during World War II.
1946 The firm's name is changed to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company.

1951 W. B. Brewer is elected Chairman of the Board and President of the company.
1956 Production of tubes and tread rubber begins at the Clarksdale, Mississippi, plant, which was acquired by Cooper from the Dismuke Tire and Rubber Company.

1960 The company becomes a publicly held corporation on July 11 and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol CTB.
A plant is acquired in Auburn, Indiana, and all automotive and other custom industrial rubber parts production is transferred there.
K. L. Frost is elected Chairman of the Board; Wayne B. Brewer is named President.

1963 A warehouse is completed at the Findlay plant.
1964 The industrial rubber products division is established as a separate corporation called Cooper Industrial Products, Inc. A second industrial products plant is purchased in El Dorado, Arkansas.
A second tire manufacturing plant opens in Texarkana, Arkansas. At Findlay, a research and engineering building is added to house tire testing, laboratories, tire design, engineering and sales training.

1965 Production facilities are expanded at the Texarkana, El Dorado, Auburn and Clarksdale plants.
1966 New and enlarged Cooper factory branches in Los Angeles, California, and Atlanta, Georgia, are opened, replacing original outlets in both cities.

1969 Another expansion at the Texarkana plant and a modernization program at the Findlay plant are completed. A cold feed tread rubber tuber, one of the first installed in the industry, and a 27 Banbury, one of the largest in the industry, are installed at the Findlay plant.
1970 Cooper Industrial Products is re-established in corporate operations.

1971 Wayne B. Brewer is elected Chairman of the Board and President.
1973 Cooper completes in-house development of radial tire building equipment and product testing.

1974 Full-scale production of steel-belted radial passenger tires begins at the Findlay and Texarkana plants.
1977 A plant in Bowling Green, Ohio, is purchased to manufacture reinforced hose and extruded rubber products.
Edward E. Brewer is elected Chairman of the Board and President.

1979 A government-imposed tire grading system, Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG), becomes effective for bias and belted-bias tires.
A state-of-the-art, electronically synchronized dual-durometer production line is installed at the Bowling Green Plant to make seals for trunk deck lids, car doors and sunroofs.

1980 Cooper pioneers a limited "no charge" replacement warranty on its premium highway radial passenger lines. The company also introduces its first generation all-season radial for passenger cars.
1981 The Texarkana plant produces more than 5 million tires, a production record.

1982 Three building additions are completed at the Findlay plant while a three-phased expansion project begins in Texarkana.
Ivan W. Gorr is named President and Chief Operating Officer.

1983 The company joins the ranks of the "Fortune 500" listing of the largest American industrial companies.
1984 A third tire plant is purchased in Tupelo, Mississippi, for the exclusive production of radial passenger tires.
The Findlay plant adds manufacturing space to double its capacity for passenger and radial tire production.
A new 776,000-square-foot tire distribution center in Moraine, Ohio, becomes fully operational.
The engineered products operation adds a technical center in Auburn to house design, R & D and testing operations.
Net sales surpass a half billion dollars.

1985 A new distribution center is built in Atlanta, Georgia. Cooper warehousing capacity now totals 3.2 million tires.
1986 The company acquires an inner tube manufacturing company, Rio Grande Servaas, S.A. de C.V., in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
A distribution center is opened in Tacoma, Washington, to serve customers in five northwestern states.
A building addition is completed at the Research & Engineering complex in Findlay to increase in-house tire testing capacity and broaden the range of testing capabilities. The company introduces lines of high performance radial tires.
The Cooper sales force is named best in the rubber industry by Sales & Marketing Management Magazine in its annual survey of industry executives. The company is listed in a new book titled The 101 Best Performing Companies in America.

1987 Expansion programs totaling $60 million begin at the Findlay, Texarkana, Tupelo and Clarksdale plants to increase overall tire and tube capacity.
The late Wayne B. Brewer, former Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer, is inducted into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame.
Prompted by increased demand, the engineered products operation installs another dual-durometer extrusion line at the Bowling Green plant and adds injection molding equipment at both the Auburn and El Dorado plants. The company now serves as a supplier to all domestic and offshore car makers in America.

1988 Three building expansions are completed in Findlay to increase manufacturing and office space and expand the research and development laboratory. A building is added to the Bowling Green plant for increased production of hose, tubing and body sealing products.
A new warehouse and a compound mixing building are completed at the Tupelo plant. The Texarkana plant produces its 100-millionth tire since starting production in 1964.
The Findlay plant and Moraine distribution center gain foreign trade subzone status from the U.S. Department of Commerce, which reduces and defers the company's payment of duty on imported raw materials.

1989 Major building additions are completed in Tupelo, Texarkana, Findlay, Clarksdale and Piedras Negras to increase production capacity. Tire finishing operations in Tupelo are redesigned as an automated process to lower production costs.
Warranty coverage on Cooper's premium radials expands to include treadwear protection.
A new building in Bowling Green adds space for warehousing and the installation of a new flocked body seal line.
Ivan W. Gorr is elected Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer; William T. Fitzgerald is named President.

1990 Cooper purchases a 1.8 million-square-foot plant in Albany, Georgia, as its fourth tire manufacturing facility.
Cooper introduces a "V" speed-rated high performance tire with a unique center groove design.
Building expansion programs for manufacturing and warehousing include 136,000 square feet in Findlay and 113,000 square feet in Texarkana.

1991 Net sales of the company reach $1 billion.
Production of passenger and all-steel light truck radials begins at the Albany plant. A total of 68,000 square feet of manufacturing space is added to the Findlay plant, while the Tupelo plant gains a total of 153,000 square feet of manufacturing and warehouse space.
The engineered products plant in Auburn nearly doubles in size with a building expansion totaling 142,000 square feet.

1992 A 26,500-square-foot building is added to the Findlay plant. Capacity expansions are completed at all tire division plants.
The Findlay plant produces its 25-millionth radial tire since production began in 1974.
William T. Fitzgerald, retired president and director, is inducted into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame.

1993 A fourth engineered products plant, totaling 180,000 square feet, is built in Bowling Green, Ohio, for the production of hoses and hose assemblies. The existing Bowling Green plant is now dedicated solely to the production of body sealing products.
A 163,000-square-foot warehouse is added in Findlay, freeing up manufacturing space for tire finishing operations.
The Texarkana plant produces its 50-millionth radial passenger tire in January.

1994 Ground is broken for a $10.5 million expansion and renovation project at the Clarksdale, Mississippi, inner tube facility.
In October, Ivan Gorr retires as Chairman and CEO in accordance with company policy and succession plans. Gorr remains on the board of directors. Patrick W. Rooney is elected Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. John Fahl is elected President of Tire Operations.
A special project is advanced by Cooper engineered products to develop active sound and vibration products for automotive and non-automotive applications.

1995 Several expansions are initiated for production and/or warehousing in Findlay, Tupelo and Albany. A new high-tech tire mold manufacturing facility is constructed in Findlay.
Construction of a fifth engineered products plant is started in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, for the production of extruded rubber hose, hose assemblies and body sealing systems. The Bowling Green hose facility is expanded by 60,000 square feet.
Cooper enters into a formalized agreement with the ContiTech group of Hanover, Germany, to share technologies in the design and development of original equipment projects for the world car market.
Ivan Gorr, retired chairman and CEO, is inducted into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame.Construction of a fifth engineered products plant is started in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, for the production of extruded rubber hose, hose assemblies and body sealing systems. The Bowling Green hose facility is expanded by 60,000 square feet.
Cooper enters into a formalized agreement with the ContiTech group of Hanover, Germany, to share technologies in the design and development of original equipment projects for the world car market.
Ivan Gorr, retired chairman and CEO, is inducted into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame.

1996 The Findlay plant achieves its 50 million radial production milestone while Tupelo marks its 100-millionth radial tire built.
Throughout the year, expansion and enhancement efforts continue at Albany, Bowling Green, El Dorado, Mt. Sterling, Texarkana and Tupelo.
The engineered products' sales, engineering and design forces are consolidated into one major facility in Farmington Hills, Michigan. At the end of the year, tube production and distribution is consolidated at the Clarksdale facility, enabling the Piedras Negras capacity to be dedicated solely to manufacturing engineered products.

1997 The Company announces golfing legend Arnold Palmer will serve as the new spokesman for Cooper Tire. In addition, the Company serves as an associate sponsor for the Bay Hill Invitational Golf Tournament in Orlando, Florida.
In March, Cooper announces its purchase of Avon Tyres Limited, located in Melksham, England, adding 1,200 employees. The acquisition includes a 2,167,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Melksham and tire distribution centers in France, Germany and Switzerland.
 Brief History - Avon Tyre
1885 Founded by E.G. Browne & J.C. Margetson
1901 Pneumatic tyre shop built
1933 Avon shares issued on the London Stock Exchange
1933 First chosen as original equipment on Rolls Royce cars
1957 Entry into motorcycle racing
1982 Avon Tyres racing production unit officially opened
1996 Exclusive supplier to FIA Formula 3000
By June, all six engineering products manufacturing facilities have obtained the QS-9000 certification as required by the "Big Three" automakers.
Preparing for the 21st Century, Cooper embarks on a strategic initiative - Cooper 21.

1998 Two new technical centers become operational in Findlay and Auburn. The $10 million, 73,500-square-foot technical center in Findlay houses all tire development personnel as well as expanded materials and tire testing laboratories. The 76,350-square-foot, $8.6 million facility in Auburn includes the engineering, purchasing and inquiry departments for the engineered products operations.
In addition, a new 270,000-square-foot distribution center is opened in South Brunswick, N.J., and ground is broken on a 900-acre site near San Antonio, Texas, for a tire and vehicle test center.
New supply agreements are reached for private-label tires with Parrish Tire Company, Winston Salem, N.C., and Del-Nat Tire Corp., Memphis, Tenn.

1999Cooper acquires Dean Tire & Rubber Company - adding its seventh house brand.
In October, Cooper completed the acquisition of The Standard Products Company, adding 10,000 employees. This gives Cooper 50 manufacturing facilities in 9 countries around the world. Cooper Tire & Rubber Company is divided into two groups - Cooper Tire and Cooper-Standard Automotive.
Brief History - The Standard Products Company 1927 Standard Products is formed
1936 Initial public offering on American Stock Exchange
1936 Four plants in Michigan and Ohio
1962 J.S. Reid, Jr. elected as president
1975-76 Made the Fortune top 1,000
1977 Oliver Rubber acquired
1985 Moved from American to New York Stock Exchange
1986 NISCO (Nishikawa Standard Co.) formed as joint venture
1988 Jin Young Standard Inc. formed as joint venture
1989 Holm Industries acquired
1995 Corporate location moved to Dearborn, Michigan

2000 Cooper closes the acquisition of Siebe Automotive in January, and adds $400 million in sales and 16 locations. With headquarters in Southfield, Michigan, Siebe specializes in manufacturing fluid handling automotive components, modules and sub-systems. Siebe combines with Cooper's existing hose manufacturing facilities to form the Fluid Systems Division.
It's the end of an era in leadership and tire production, as Pat Rooney retires in June and the last bias light truck tire is produced in Findlay in July. Tom Dattilo succeeds Rooney as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer.
A 30-year veteran of the automotive industry, Jim McElya is named president of Cooper-Standard Automotive.
August, 2000 is dubbed by the tire group as the "best sales month ever," beating the old record by 3.6%
Reorganization announced, effective January, 2001, dividing Cooper Tire group into the North American Tire Division, Commercial Products Division and the International Division.
Pat Rooney retired Chairman and CEO, is inducted into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame.
At year's end, Cooper has expanded to 60 facilities in 13 countries, with more than 20,000 employees worldwide. It remains one of only two American-owned tire companies.

2001 Cooper finalized the acquisition of the tread rubber operations from Hercules in July, adding sales and production volumes to Oliver Rubber.
D. Richard Stephens was named Cooper Tire president, succeeding 45-year veteran John Fahl, who retired in April.
Cooper Tire became the Official Tire of the Southeastern (SEC), Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Mountain West and Pacific-10 (PAC-10) athletic conferences during 2001.
A 10-year supply agreement extends the current relationship of manufacturing many of TBC's Multi Mile, Cordovan and Sigma private label tires.
Cooper earned "sole tire supplier" status from Pep Boys.
At year-end, Cooper owns more than 55 manufacturing and technical facilities in 13 countries and employs more than 20,000 people worldwide.

2002 Cooper Tire formed a partnership with the National Safety Council (NSC) to educate consumers on tire safety. The three-year education program will help consumers understand how simple steps can help keep their tires in peak condition for miles and miles of safe driving.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company earned Rubber Manufacturers Association's Safety and Health Improvement Program (SHIP) Awards for 13 of its manufacturing facilities.
In April, the Pirelli alliance agreement was restructured with Pirelli managing their sales and marketing in the U.S while Cooper continuing to handle logistics.
One of the most significant highlights of the year occurred in the second quarter when Cooper announced earnings of 52 cents per share, which was an all-time company record.
The J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Replacement Tire Customer Satisfaction Study SM ranked Cooper the highest light truck replacement tire in a tie.
CooperWorld.Net, a free business-to-business Internet site was launched in August, providing dealers with a quick and easy way to order tires, access information and communicate after hours. This secure site enhances Cooper's top-rated customer service.

"For many years, Avon has been a
leader in the development of motorsport tyres. It brings tremendous benefits
to our road tyre business through enhanced technical development and product
performance."
- Julian Baldwin, Marketing Manager

Mastercraft
has been helping drivers "Master the Road" and dealers master their business
since 1909. a href="catalog.php?tm_id=86">Mastercraft offers a full line of passenger, light truck and medium
truck radials, all of which are available direct to distributors.

Starfire tires "Take Driving to the Outer Limits." Starfire offers a
broad and complete assortment of passenger and light truck lines.

For more than 30 years, Dean has been the
independent tire dealer's value solution to the business equation. In fact,
Dean's commitment
is to allow our dealers to "Go the Distance" in today's competitive
marketplace.

Kenda?s radial
passenger and light truck tires are just right for the performance minded,
value conscious consumer. Jointly developed by Kenda and Cooper, these tires
are available in the U.S. through independent tire dealers. Kenda USA
continues to market its existing range of specialty tires.
Our phones
(044) 592-80-76
(098) 606-19-98
(066) 354-12-73
(063) 061-30-44
Consultant


ATTENTION!
www.iTyre.com sales on the territory of Ukraine only.

Ads